Monday, October 20, 2008

Tapping Philosophy: Self Absorption

This topic brought to you by Christina Bernardo:
Self-Absorption

“I like cry when I listen to it… it’s that good.” –Paris Hilton on her new album (and so does everyone else)

Humanity could only have survived and flourished if it held social and personal values that transcended the urges of the individual, embodying selfish desires - and these stem from the sense of a transcendent good.” - Arthur Peacocke

“I think it all comes back to being very selfish as an artist. I mean, I really do just write and record what interests me and I do approach the stage shows in much the same way.” – David Bowie

“Every writer is a narcissist. This does not mean that he is vain; it only means that he is hopelessly self-absorbed.”- Leo Rosten

What does it mean to be self-absorbed? Does being self-absorbed mean concern for oneself over the concern for others categorically? Can self-absorption be a tool used to develop an identity, concept, or goal? Is self-absorption an overall bad thing in that the bad aspects of self-absorption outweigh any good qualities it can bring?

Is self-absorption a consequence of our American individualistic society? By focusing on the self through individual happiness, have we created an obsession with how the individual feels which supersedes an acknowledgment of collective whole?
Is self-absorption fleeting, perhaps exacerbated by an overwhelming emotion or drama? Is everyone capable of self-absorption and how does it become a permanent flaw or trait?
Could you argue that all great thinkers needed to use self-absorption as means to achieve their greater goals?

“It is a cursed evil to any man to become as absorbed in any subject as I am in mine.”- Charles Darwin

Are philosophers doomed for self-absorption by the very nature of self-examination? We could point to Plato’s endoxic method of looking within self to examine the soul. Or what about Descartes discovering that he, himself exist because he thinks?

On that note, I look forward to seeing you guys at tapping


Now I’m gonna go lock myself in my room and indulge my inner spoiled brat lacking all perspective.

Love and Peace,
Christina

No comments: